If my first goal in cooking or baking for Josiah is to get him to eat a balanced diet, my second goal is to make things that I can eat, too. After all, I am typically only up for making special from-scratch meals that are just for Josiah about three times a week. I'm not one of those people who enjoys cooking (or cleaning up afterward) all the time.
These Blueberry Spinach Muffins meet both of my goals. I won't lie; I ate two of these for my lunch today. Josiah loved them too, so I guess I'll be making more very soon.
Blueberry Spinach Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh spinach, packed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2/3 cup blueberries (edit: I changed this from 1/3 cup and it is sooo much yummier.)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 2. Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor and puree.
- 3. Add blueberries and chop until the berries are mixed in but not pureed.
- 4. Place the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and combine.
- 5. Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.
- 6. Scoop batter into a greased muffin tin, filling each cup 2/3 of the way. You'll get about 9 muffins.
- 7. Bake for 15-17 minutes.
|Little one loved these, although his insistence on eating them with a fork made for a bit of a mess.|