Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Blueberry Spinach Muffins

Since Josiah is thirteen months old and will rarely eat a straight-up vegetable, I have been trying lots of creative recipes that hide fresh fruit and vegetables. I found a spinach muffin recipe at weelicious, but I wanted to make it a little healthier and more interesting. (That's right. The spinach muffins were not healthy enough.)

If my first goal in cooking or baking for Josiah is to get him to eat a balanced diet, my second goal is to make things that I can eat, too. After all, I am typically only up for making special from-scratch meals that are just for Josiah about three times a week. I'm not one of those people who enjoys cooking (or cleaning up afterward) all the time.

These Blueberry Spinach Muffins meet both of my goals. I won't lie; I ate two of these for my lunch today. Josiah loved them too, so I guess I'll be making more very soon.


Blueberry Spinach Muffins

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup fresh spinach, packed
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2/3 cup blueberries (edit: I changed this from 1/3 cup and it is sooo much yummier.)
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions
  1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  1. 2. Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor and puree.
  1. 3. Add blueberries and chop until the berries are mixed in but not pureed.
  1. 4. Place the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and combine.
  1. 5. Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined.
  1. 6. Scoop batter into a greased muffin tin, filling each cup 2/3 of the way. You'll get about 9 muffins.
  1. 7. Bake for 15-17 minutes.

Little one loved these, although his insistence on eating them with a fork made for a bit of a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment